- Nina Ricci Perfume Guide: Amazing Scents & Whimsical Bottles - December 11, 2021
We all know and love Nina Ricci’s perfumes, but did you know that, initially, the brand was one of a fashion house that sold feminine dresses and elegant gowns?! But, once the business entered the perfume niche, the brand became even more popular. A long-lasting and fruitful business relationship evolved between Nina Ricci and Lalique with its first perfume bottle.
The name of the first Nina Ricci perfume was Coeur Joie, but the brand’s most popular fragrance was launched in 1948, under the name of L’Air du Temps. It was sold in a dove-shaped flacon, and it’s still available on the market today, continuing to be one of the company’s bestsellers.
Nina Ricci Brand History
Nina Ricci is a famous brand that was created by a well-known fashion designer who wore the same name. She was a French public figure with Italian roots. Nina Ricci started her empire all the way back in 1932. So, the brand has a long history filled with numerous successful initiatives.
The founder’s full name was Maria Nina Ricci, and she used to work as the main designer of her fashion house. However, Roberto, her son, was in charge of both the finance and operational aspects of the business. Soon after the launch, the company also entered the perfume market. Its first fragrance was called Coeur Joie and it was marketed in 1946.
The bottle of this original Nina Ricci perfume was beautifully-designed, featuring the shape of a heart, and being made entirely from crystal. The design was created by Lalique, who was inspired by the fragrance’s name (Coeur means heart in French).
Nina Ricci is a brand that continues to provide stunning yet feminine and delicate perfumes that come in exquisite flacons. They’re shipped to clients from all over the globe.
In 1998, Nina Ricci was bought by Puig. The company still creates and sells clothing items and perfumes for both women and men. The family legacy is still alive, with Nina’s great-grandson, Romano, producing perfumes under a different brand name known as “Juliette Has a Gun.”
All Nina Ricci Perfumes Detailed
The old perfume and fashion house of Nina Ricci have no less than 96 different fragrances in its perfume collection. While the first and oldest perfume was made in 1946, the latest fragrance was launched in 2021.
The company has collaborated with numerous experts to come up with all these magnificent perfumes. Among the collaborators, there are the following individuals: Jean Guichard, Francis Fabron, and Nathalie Gracia-Cetto.
Nina Ricci Perfume Collections
Here are the collections of perfumes sold under Nina Ricci’s brand:
- Bella collection – this collection has only two perfumes, one launched in 2018, and the second one marketed in 2019: Bella and Bella Holiday Edition;
- L’Air du Temps collection – all the perfumes included in this collection are made for women, expect one which is unisex: L’Air du Paradis, L’Air du Temps couture edition, L’Air du Printemps, Le Crepuscule, L’Air du Temps Noel, L’Air du Ciel, etc.;
- Luna collection – the containers of this collection resemble the ones of the Les Sorbets de Nina Ricci collection: Les Gourmandises de Luna, Les Monstres de Nina Ricci, Luna Blossom, and more;
- Nina collection – Love by Nina, La Tentation de Nina, Les Delices de Nina, Nina Extra Rouge, Nina Fantasy, Nina Pop, Nina Prestige Edition, Snow Princess, Pretty Nina, etc.;
- Les Sorbets de Nina Ricci – these Nina Ricci fragrances are sold in cute little bottles shaped like apples: Les Sorbets de Luna, Les Sorbets de Bella, and Les Sorbets de Nina;
- L’Extase collection – the 5 perfumes included in the L’Extase collection are all designed for women: Chant d’Extase, Rosse Absolue, Caresse de Roses, etc.
The Best Nina Ricci Perfumes for Women
Here are some of the most popular Nina Ricci perfumes, specially formulated for elegant, delicate, feminine, bold, and strong women.
Nina Ricci for Women
This Nina Ricci perfume has fresh, woody, and fruity tones. It’s a floral fragrance that was launched in 2006, and it was developed by three perfumers: Jacques Cavallier, Olivier Cresp, and Christian Dussoulier.
The top notes of the fragrance are a mix of lime and lemon, whereas the middle notes are a combination of praline, apple, and peony. All the base notes are woody: cedar, apple tree, and musk.
L’Air du Temp
L’Air du Temp by Nina Ricci is another amazing floral perfume made for women. This is part of the vintage collection, if I may say so, considering it was designed and launched in 1948. Francis Fabron is the expert behind this perfume. Rose, bergamot, rosewood, peach, and carnation are part of the top notes, while iris, musk, cedar, and amber are part of the base notes.
In terms of middle notes, you will sense gardenia, cloves, violet, and orchid, among others. This is a timeless creation of the Nina Ricci brand, and it’s still one of the most popular fragrances of the company. The dove that appears on the bottle is the symbol of the well-deserved peace since this product appeared right after the second World War.
Premier Jour, which was launched in 2001, was created by three renowned perfumers. It’s a floral and sweet perfume that has Mandarin orange and Sweet Pea as its main notes. Both orchid and gardenia are the perfume’s middle notes, and its base notes are represented by vanilla, sandalwood, and musk. It’s a sensual product, featured in an asymmetrical bottle.
This was the first Nina Ricci perfume I’ve ever used. It was a birthday gift from my mother. I love it, and I used to wear it every single day. I remember it had a pretty strong scent which I adored. It’s a floral and woody perfume made for glamorous, feminine, and strong women. The launch of this perfume occurred in 2009.
Ricci Ricci has bergamot and rhubarb as its top notes and sandalwood and patchouli as its base notes. Rose tincture and tuberose are the product’s middle notes.
According to the company, this perfume was created for urban heroines. Besides its scent, another element I liked a lot about it was the purple ribbon-shaped bottle top.
L’Extase is a sweet and fruity perfume that was marketed in 2015. Among the top notes, there are peach, pink pepper, and pear.
The middle notes are created with raspberry, jasmine, rose, and white flowers, while the base notes are sweet and woody: caramel, vanilla, musk, and cedar. This product was marketed under the motto: “liberate your fantasies.”
Love in Paris
This fruity and floral Nina Ricci perfume comes in a transparent and elegant bottle, with an oversized top. It appeared on the market in 2004, and it was formulated by Aurelien Guichard. The top notes are a mixture of peach, banana, bergamot, pear, peony, and rose. Its middle notes are created with apricot, violet, and jasmine, while the base notes are represented by musk and other woody elements.
I love this perfume’s soft floral scent. It’s spicy but also fresh and delicate.
The bottle of this Nina Ricci perfume is an iconic one; one that’s easy to recognize as being a product of this company. L’Elixir is fresh, fruity, and sweet, with lemon as its top note.
It features two middle notes: jasmine and red berries. The fragrance was launched in 2010, and its woody base note is created by musk. The composition is fresh yet rich and sensual.
Nina Ricci Luna
Nina Ricci Luna comes in a beautiful blue container, shaped like an apple, with a golden top that features the fruit’s leaves. It appeared in the company’s perfume collection in 2016, and it has an enticing and powerful scent.
The composition is a mix of floral and fruity notes, among which there are wild berries, lime, orange blossoms, tangerine, caramel, jasmine, pear, vanilla, sandalwood, and musk.
Nina Ricci L’Eau is a fresh floral perfume that comes in a delicate bottle with subtle pink color. It was created in 2013, and it’s a very romantic fragrance with subtle aquatic notes. The heart of this perfume is made of cherry and gardenia, whereas musk is used for the product’s base note. Apple, orange, and grapefruit are its top notes.
This was the second ever-bought Nina Ricci perfume I’ve used. Mademoiselle Ricci is still pretty strong and sweet, but not as strong as Ricci Ricci. The bottle is similar to the one of the Ricci Ricci perfume, but the color is more subtle.
This product focuses on roses as its floral scent and on musk as its primary woody note. Other elements included in the formula are raspberries, pink pepper, laurels, cedar, and violet.
I must confess I haven’t tried this perfume yet, but, according to those who have used it, it’s both woody and floral, with red berries as its top notes, and amber wood, vanilla, and musk as its base notes. The center of the fragrance revolves around raspberries and roses. Rose Extase was launched on the market in 2017.
Nina Ricci Bella
Bella by Nina Ricci is so appealing and catchy due to both its scent and, especially its bottle shape. The graceful container is shaped like a green apple, with golden leaves, and a small sculpture that features a colorful insect on one of the leaves.
Amazing and so cute, I know, right?! Some of Bella’s main ingredients are lemon, rhubarb, rose, freesia, white musk, and vanilla. It became part of the Nina Ricci fragrance collection in 2018.
Other Amazing Nina Ricci Female Perfumes Worth Considering
- Les Delices de Nina
- Le Paradis de Nina
- L’Extase Caresse de Roses
- Nina Fantasy
- Love by Nina
- Nina Rouge
- Nina Ricci Nina
- Delice d’Epices from Les Belles de Ricci
- Nina Ricci L’Air
- Nina Ricci Liberty Fizz
- Ricci Amour d’Amandier
- Les Belles de Ricci
- Chant d’Extase
- Nina Snow Princess
- Belle de Minuit
- Nina Ricci Farouche
- Ricci Ricci Dancing Ribbon
- Les Gourmandises de Luna
- Pretty Nina
- Fleur de Fleurs
- Nina Rose
- Cherry Fantasy
- Luna Blossom
- Nina Ricci Capricci
- Les Sorbets de Bella
- Nina Pop
- Nina Gold Edition
- Les Sorbets de Nina
- Nina Extra Rouge
- Ricci Ricci Reflets Mysterieux
- Eau de Fleurs
- Princesse d’un Jour
- Fleur de Pivoine
- Nina Ricci Coeur Joie (the very first fragrance ever made by the brand)
- L’Air du Paradis
- Nuit Pourpre
- Premier Jour Lucky Day
- Rose Garden
- Fille d’Eve
- Nina Ricci Bigarade
The Best Nina Ricci Perfumes for Men
Here are Nina Ricci’s perfumes for men. There are only 5 of them, so let’s get started.
Memoire D’Homme is a popular Nina Ricci perfume for men that was launched in 2002 and has grapefruit, licorice, and pomelo as its top notes. The base notes are a combination of woody scents sourced from musk, amber, and cedar, whereas the product’s core is made of nutmeg and ginger. Its bottle is elegant and classic.
Nina Ricci Phileas
Phileas by Nina Ricci is a woody and aromatic male perfume with an amber scent. It’s part of the vintage collection since it was launched many years ago, in 1984.
Juniper berries, lemon, and aldehydes are some of its top notes, while amber, leather, musk, and tobacco are a few of its base notes. The spicy scent is given by the perfume’s core, made of pine tree needles, jasmine, and cinnamon.
Ricci Club is another male aromatic, woody, and spicy perfume, with lemon, bergamot, and lavender as its top notes. This perfume was launched in the year in which I was born, 1989.
It has carnation, peach, rose, and jasmine as some of its core elements. Its base notes are a beautiful mix of vanilla, tonka bean, sandalwood, patchouli, and other elements.
Nina Ricci Signoricci is a popular cologne with citrus and aromatic notes. It’s another vintage perfume, made in 1965, and part of its core elements are mandarin orange, rose, and carnation. Some of its most important base notes are cedar, amber, and oakmoss, while green notes, lemon, and bergamot are a few of its top notes.
The Signoricci 2 cologne appeared on the market in 1975, and it’s a citrus perfume for men. There are certain similarities between this one and the first Signoricci perfume, but there are also elements that differentiate it from the initial cologne.
The formula contains lime, basil, jasmine, carnation, orange, white musk, amber, and other incredible notes.
Unisex Nina Ricci Perfumes
The company has even created one unisex fragrance that suits both men and women.
L’Air du Ciel
This Nina Ricci perfume is unisex, which means that both women and men can wear it. It’s a mix of fruity and floral scents, and its top notes are bergamot and mandarin orange.
Neroli is the perfume’s middle note, while the base notes are created by white musk, honey, almond, and tonka bean. It seems that this fragrance was inspired by sunsets.
How to Recognize Fake Nina Ricci Perfumes
Here’s a list of the things you should verify to see if the Nina Ricci perfume you’re about to purchase is real or fake:
- If you’re purchasing a Nina Ricci perfume from a trusted shop like Sephora, you can rest assured that it will be the real deal and not a fake alternative. However, if you’re buying it online, you should search for the product’s reference number that must appear on both the perfume bottle and its package. The ref. number on the package should be identical to the one mentioned on the bottle. If that’s not the case, then the perfume is fake;
- The aforementioned reference number must be either engraved or printed on the bottle’s glass or the container’s sticker, but never just painted or drawn there;
- Take a closer look at how the bottle appears to be. If it seems that it’s made of a bad-quality material, then the fragrance is probably fake. This is also true for perfume bottles that have small airballs in them or feature tiny scratches;
- Verify the volume of the perfume you’re about to purchase. Does it even exist in well-known and reputable shops?
- If you have used the same perfume before, it should be easier for you to see if it’s real or fake. Sometimes, fake fragrances might leave a faded color on your skin, or they might smell funny.
Nina Ricci Perfume Guide – Main Alternatives
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best alternatives to Nina Ricci perfumes.
- Christian Dior Balade Sauvage – this perfume will remind you of a tropical holiday somewhere on an exotic island. For me, this Christian Dior scent represents the sea breeze in a perfume bottle, with its bergamot and orange blossom notes;
- Jimmy Choo Signature – when I was a student, I bought a Jimmy Choo perfume on a Christmas day, and I fell in love with its smell, but, unfortunately, it didn’t last that long on my skin. Still, to this day, I remember and like its sweet fragrance. Jimmy Choo Signature is a very sensual and seductive perfume, just like a mysterious flower bouquet;
- Hearts and Daggers by Ed Hardy – this Ed Hardy perfume expresses femininity, sexuality, and sweetness with its fruity tropical notes of red apple, violet, jasmine, and mango;
- Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers – all women, regardless of preferences, skin type, and age, can easily wear this versatile perfume. The Elizabeth Arden Sunflower fragrance is a mix of orange blossom, lemon, and sweet peach with musk, sandalwood, and amber;
- Burberry Weekend for Women – if you want something milder and gentler, this Burberry perfume might be the right choice for you. The scent is subtle, without any risky notes. It smells fresh, woody, and warm, with its sage, mandarin orange, peach blossom, and sandalwood notes;
- La Vie Est Belle by Lancome – this is another favorite of mine. I used it for a long time, about two years ago. I fell in love with its sweet floral scent that has just the right amount of strength without being overwhelming. La Vie Est Belle is a long-lasting and timeless perfume that can be applied on a daily basis.
Question: Why Should You Consider Buying a Nina Ricci Perfume?
Answer: Nina Ricci perfumes are worthy of your consideration. The collection is so comprehensive that it’s impossible not to find something you’ll like. The brand offers something for every personality type, from feminine and shy women to bold and eccentric ones.
These fragrances are popular, long-lasting, made with high-quality formulations, and the brand is a reputable one with a long history. Plus, they all smell great. Well, you will probably like some better than others, depending on your personal preferences.
Question: How Can You Choose a Nina Ricci Perfume Based on Your Skin Type?
Answer: According to experts, the perfumes you’re using should be compatible with your body chemistry. Otherwise, they might fade away quickly or even change their original scent once you apply them to your skin. The same perfume doesn’t match everyone and all skin types:
Those with oily skin should focus on more subtle perfumes since your body sebum will mix with the fragrance and change its smell, and the final outcome might not be the one you hoped for;
If your skin is dry, you should focus on using stronger perfumes since dry skin makes the scent fade away rapidly through evaporation because it remained on the outer surface of the body. Another major factor to consider is your pH. If it’s imbalanced, the scent you apply might change its smell. Your skin should be only slightly acidic.
For those with dry skin, the best solution is to tackle that issue first, before choosing a certain fragrance. Moisturize your skin well enough, and only then start looking and testing different perfumes.
Your body heat can and will also impact the way your perfume smells. If your body temperature is higher, the scent will become stronger, and vice-versa. Besides all these important things to keep in mind, the best and most entertaining way to find your perfect scent is through trial and error.
Question: How Can You Find Your Signature Fragrance Based on Your Personality?
Answer: Throughout the years, I’ve had several different signature fragrances. All through high school, I used Escada perfumes because I was madly in love with sweet floral scents. Also, they lasted a lot on my skin which is definitely a big plus for me. Since then, I’ve changed my favorite perfume several times.
I even started to dislike certain fragrances that I used to love. Nina Ricci was among my favorite picks, alongside Cacharel, Miss Dior, and others.
As a bride, I wore Miss Dior, and I don’t even remember feeling it despite the fact that one of my bridesmaids sprayed a little in my eye (I know, right?!). Anyhow, now, I only use it from time to time, because I find it a bit too strong.
I’m trying to say that it’s perfectly ok to change your mind and preferences. Let’s see what scent should be on your list, based on your personality:
• Floral scents – I love floral scents due to their sweet and light smell. Based on your preferences, you can choose from sharp, sweet, and mellow floral perfumes;
• Fruity perfumes – most fruity perfumes are actually a mix of floral and fruity tones, but, by comparison, these ones are a lot sweeter than floral fragrances. They’re great to wear on a daily basis;
• Citrus fragrances – these are the perfumes that smell like lime, lemon, grapefruit, orange, or a combination of these ingredients. Some of them are delicate and fresh, while others are stronger and sharper;
• Woody scents – perfumes with woody notes are nutty, warm, spicy, and earthy;
Aromatic scents – these options are light and fresh, but some of them don’t last long on your skin. However, they’re a perfect choice for hot summer days due to their comfortable smell.
All Nina Ricci perfumes are versatile and pret-a-porter, which means they’re ready to be worn. Moreover, they smell great and will last on your skin all day long. With these perfumes, a small amount goes a long way; all you need is two delicate sprays behind each ear, and you’ll be ready to go and impress the world around you.
I have tried a few Nina Ricci perfumes, and my favorite one remains Ricci Ricci due to its sweet and durable fragrance, as well as its feminine and sensual container shape, with its cute iconic ribbon top. In fact, that’s one of the numerous perks of Nina Ricci perfumes: their gracefully-designed bottles.
Have you tried any of the Nina Ricci fragrances I’ve mentioned above? If yes, which one was your favorite and why? I’m curious to know your preferences.