- Nina Ricci Perfume Guide: Amazing Scents & Whimsical Bottles - November 18, 2023
- Scentbox Review & Guide - July 4, 2023
- Riddle Perfume Guide: Are These Scented Oils Good Perfume Alternatives & Should You Buy Them? - October 20, 2022
- Bottom Line Up Front!
- A Brief Overview of the Calvin Klein Brand
- The Best Calvin Klein Perfume Options - My Top 9 Choices
- For Her
- 1. Sheer Beauty by CK
- 2. Calvin Klein Euphoria
- 3. Obsession by CK
- 4. Escape for Women by CK
- For Him
- 1. Eternity for Men by CK
- 2. Reveal Men by CK
- 3. Truth for Men by CK
- 4. Encounter by CK
- One - Calvin Klein Unisex Perfume
- How to Choose the Best CK Perfume
- Main Alternatives to CK Perfumes
- Best Calvin Klein Options: Final Notes
Many years ago, when I was in university, I tried my first Calvin Klein perfume. I don’t remember the name, but I remember the disappointment when I saw it wasn’t as long-lasting as I wished. Things have fortunately improved since then, and now I like CK perfumes.
It’s impressive how the company went from selling women overcoats to creating desirable and iconic perfumes. Today, I’ll discuss some of the best Calvin Klein perfume options for women and men. I even included a unisex choice in there. So, enjoy!
Bottom Line Up Front!
My favorite Calvin Klein perfumes are:
- For her – my favorite is Sheer Beauty due to its fresh and floral scent. I also love its delicate bottle shape;
- For him – Reveal is my favorite in terms of scent (it smells delicious) and Encounter when it comes to the most appealing bottle.
A Brief Overview of the Calvin Klein Brand
Calvin Klein is a well-known American brand that started as a fashion company in the 1960s. The style of most CK clothing lines is classic and simple, even minimalistic. This brand was the starting point of the whole designer jeans madness that appeared in the 1970s. Besides the brand’s jeans, underwear collection, and casual clothing, Calvin Klein is also famous for its perfumes.
In 1997, CK added accessories such as watches and jewelry to its portfolio. The CK simple logo is easily recognizable. While I’m not a slave of expensive brands (heck, let’s face it; many of these items exceed my budget), I own a CK winter coat that’s incredibly cozy and keeps me warm. I also have a cute and trendy cK winter beany hat. But, enough about my clothes.
The first fragrance created by Calvin Klein appeared on the market in 1981. Since then, the company has marketed many other extraordinary perfumes and colognes. The most popular ones are CK One, a unisex fragrance launched in 1994, and Euphoria, designed in 2005-2006. Besides these two, there is another CK perfume I want to bring to your attention: the classic Obsession, released in 1985-1986.
But I’ll detail CK perfumes in the following section.
Side note* – Coty owns the brand’s license for fragrances.
The Best Calvin Klein Perfume Options – My Top 9 Choices
I’ve chosen the following Calvin Klein perfumes based on their popularity. Moreover, I’m all about long-lasting scents, and I included some of them in the list below. Finally, I was looking for timeless perfumes that could be worn for decades without becoming outdated.
Here are the best CK perfumes for women.
1. Sheer Beauty by CK
Sheer Beauty is fruity and fresh, just the way I like it. It’s great for the daytime, and I would love to wear it during the spring or summer. This cK perfume was released in 2012, and it’s all about charm, naturalness, elegance, self-confidence, and timeless beauty.
The bottle looks great with its pink shade and oval shape. Moreover, it’s translucent so you can see the amount of perfume left in the bottle. If I were to describe it in just a few words, those would be cute, delicate, and feminine.
- Top notes – bellini, red berries, and bergamot – citrus, fruity, sweet;
- Core notes – jasmine, lily, and peony – floral and fresh;
- Base notes – musk, vanilla, and sandalwood – earthy, more aromatic, woody, spicy.
- Overall, this perfume provides good value for the money;
- Pretty affordable;
- Fresh and lightweight scent.
- The sillage is not that strong;
- I would opt for a longer-lasting perfume.
2. Calvin Klein Euphoria
The Euphoria Eau de Parfum is a lovely yet pretty strong and oriental fragrance. If you want a sensual and glamorous perfume, then you should try this CK option. I can feel an exotic and enchanting smell that’s almost creamy. This product was launched in 2005, and its aroma is mysterious. Its main accords are woody.
The bottle has an original shape that’s asymmetrical and reminds me of a UFO ship. The construction has a very statuesque design, mixing the fluid and curvy bottle and the squared bottle cap. I could tell Euphoria smelled powerful when I saw its container’s dark shade.
- Top notes – pomegranate and green notes – fresh, fruity;
- Core notes – lotus, black orchid, and champaca – floral;
- Base notes – mahogany, whipped cream, amber, and black violet – are this perfume’s strongest and most long-lasting notes.
- An intense and exotic perfume that offers a very sensual scent;
- A luminous fragrance that’s very appealing;
- Strong sillage.
- Honestly, it’s not really my cup of tea – I’m not too fond of this perfume’s smell – too strong for me; it feels overwhelming;
- It smells a bit outdated and old, like the scent of perfumes made decades ago.
3. Obsession by CK
Obsession is a perfume made for passionate and feminine women who like intense fragrances and aren’t afraid of expressing their emotions. It’s great for those who love spicy, woody, and powdery scents. Still, it might be too much for me since I prefer floral, sweet, fresh perfumes. The perfume was launched in 2005.
A classic oval bottle shape with a brown and red mix of colors that reminds me of burning logs or a campfire. It isn’t ugly, but it isn’t memorable either.
- Top notes – bergamot, vanilla, peach, basil, lemon, green notes, etc. – fresh, citrus, and green;
- Core notes – orange blossom, spices, rose, sandalwood, coriander, and cedar – a strange and curious blend of woody, spicy, and floral notes;
- Base notes – vetiver, incense, amber, musk, and civet – strong and animalic.
- I like the perfume’s intense and provocative scent;
- It’s great to wear to a romantic date;
- It isn’t that expensive;
- Suitable for winter and fall;
- It’s long-lasting and has a strong sillage;
- This perfume features a pretty original scent.
- The fragrance smells a bit too smoky for my taste;
- The perfume’s aroma doesn’t suit everybody, being too intense for some;
- Not suitable for spring and summer.
4. Escape for Women by CK
Escape is a more refreshing and subtle Calvin Klein perfume that’s great to use during weekends, spring, or summer. This perfume is ideal for you if you want a delicate and feminine scent. It’s one of the classic CK perfumes, being launched in 1991. However, this floral fragrance remains one of the most popular perfumes of the CK brand.
I don’t like the bottle. It’s plain and bulky. This is supposed to be a delicate perfume, and the bottle should emphasize that characteristic.
- Top notes – a curious mix of mandarine orange, coriander, melon, oakmoss, marigold, chamomile, apple, and apricot;
- Core notes – a more simple blend of cloves, carnation, peach, rose, and jasmine;
- Base notes – woody and earthy notes of musk, cedar, and amber.
- It has good projection, and it has decent longevity;
- It’s a versatile perfume;
- The smell is aromatic and fruity;
- I like the marine/aquatic notes.
- Too smokey for a summer perfume;
- It doesn’t last as long as expected;
- The after-smell is unpleasant and reminds me of something rotten.
Let’s see the best CK fragrances for men.
1. Eternity for Men by CK
I love this CK perfume for men due to its aromatic scent enriched with woody, citrus, and spicy notes. It’s a classic CK perfume for men, being launched in 1990. Both Eternity‘s sillage and longevity are moderate. This Calvin Klein perfume is made for confident and modern men.
The bottle is plain and basic, but I bet men will like that. The cap features a vaporisateur spray nozzle designed with a futuristic and modern shape.
- Top notes – I love this perfume’s top notes: lemon, mandarin orange, lavender, and bergamot – so fresh and citrusy – the citrus notes are cheerful, while the lavender offers the perfume a calming effect;
- Core notes – sage, basil, coriander, orange blossom, geranium, and others – floral, green, spicy;
- Base notes – amber, sandalwood, rosewood, musk, vetiver – strong, manly, woody, earthy.
- Medium-priced and decent longevity;
- Woody scent that’s also fresh;
- My husband thinks of it as sophisticated and timeless.
- Primarily suitable for special occasions – not ideal for everyday wear;
- Some might consider this a bit too basic and generic – it could remind you of the smell you sense inside a barber’s shop. It reminds me of a non-brand aftershave.
2. Reveal Men by CK
Reveal was released in 2015 and has a unique and fresh fragrance. It comprises the courageous attitude of modern men. So, this could be your to-go CK perfume if you want to be seductive, and intriguing, and show your challenging and provocative side. At first, it projects a sweet fruity scent, but that fades a bit, and the fragrance becomes lovely.
The bottle is short and wide. It features futuristic colors and shapes. I think it looks pretty good for a men’s perfume.
- Top notes – ginger, melon, pear, brandy, and mastic – a sexy blend of sweet fruits and that something extra given by the brandy;
- Core notes – clary sage, salt, suede, and agave – a bold mix of middle notes;
- Base notes – tonka bean, vetiver, and amber – strong, woody notes.
- It’s long-lasting;
- Good value for the money.
- Only a moderate sillage;
- The scent and the presentation of the container could be improved to become more appealing.
3. Truth for Men by CK
Truth for Men became part of the CK perfume portfolio in 2002. I like this fresh and breezy cologne because it makes me reminisce about early cool summer mornings. It has a robust projection and should last up to five hours on your skin, but that could vary a lot from one person to the other.
I like the simple yet attractive see-through bottle. It sends the same message as the perfume’s scent: a refreshing product that makes you feel like raindrops have touched your skin in a tropical forest. The bottle has a square-like shape with clean and straightforward lines.
- Top notes – green leaves, basil, and cardamom – simple and fresh notes;
- Core notes – resins and fern – forest notes;
- Base notes – exotic woods, red cedar, and patchouli – exotic all the way.
- It’s clean and fresh;
- The fragrance is appealing – I couldn’t stop smelling it;
- Great for summer and everyday wear.
- Not that long-lasting;
- The sillage is only moderate, not strong.
4. Encounter by CK
Encounter is one of the more recent CK perfumes introduced in 2012. It’s a bold and masculine perfume with spicy and woody notes. You can quickly wear this fragrance in the evening, during winter and autumn. It was meant to be a symbol of the tension that can occur between a man and the woman he desires.
I love the dark blue bottle of this perfume. It’s like looking at the midnight sky but without the stars. The transparent bottle cap that shows the spraying nozzle is a creative addition. Also, the 3D lines across the bottle make it even more appealing. The inspiration behind the container’s design is modern architecture.
- Top notes – mandarin orange, rum, and cardamom – cozy for a cold winter day;
- Core notes – jasmine, cognac, patchouli, and pepper – strong and spicy;
- Base notes – musk, agarwood, and cedar – earthy and woody.
- Seductive scent;
- Excellent bottle design;
- Feature mature vibes;
- Less artificial smell compared to other Calvin Klein men’s perfumes.
- Its longevity and sillage are moderate;
- At first, the smell is too strong and alcoholic;
- I think it’s buildable since the first projection seems a bit washed up.
One – Calvin Klein Unisex Perfume
One appeared in the CK perfume collection in 1994, being the first unisex fragrance made by the brand. It’s characterized by sensuality, freshness, well-balanced notes, and brightness. It reminds me of exotic pineapple juice blends and makes me think of fun yet relaxing day at the beach.
The bottle is too simple for my taste. It looks like a tiny milk bottle. It’s white and has a cap that resembles those bottle lids featured on generic juice or other beverage containers. At least the CK logo is easily recognizable.
- Top notes – citrus, exotic fruit, and green notes (bergamot, papaya, lemon, pineapple, etc.)
- Core notes – mostly floral notes (freesia, jasmine, rose, violet);
- Base notes – green tea, musk, cedar, oakmoss, sandalwood, amber – woody, earthy.
- This perfume is refreshing;
- You can use it every day;
- It’s formulated with safe and hypoallergenic ingredients.
- Its sillage is too mild for my taste;
- Moderate longevity.
How to Choose the Best CK Perfume
Purchasing a new perfume or cologne involves a strong personal factor. What might seem like the perfect smell for one person could be the worst fragrance for another buyer. I call these aspects the less tangible things that could influence your purchasing decision.
However, I discovered a few other more tangible aspects, like the perfume’s design and purpose:
- Intimate and delicate scents for romantic people;
- Casual perfumes for everyday wear;
- Versatile fragrances that can be worn at the office, on a date night, etc.
Another critical factor is price and your budget. Branded perfumes cost more than generic ones. Premium brands are even more expensive. High-quality and long-lasting perfumes usually come with higher price tags.
Finally, you should see if the main notes of the perfume suit your personality and taste. Last but not least, longevity and sillage are essential to me. I want a durable scent that leaves a powerful sillage behind or around me when I walk down the street.
Main Alternatives to CK Perfumes
Here are some great perfume alternatives to Calvin Klein fragrances that reminded me of the scents discussed in today’s article.
Chance Eau Fraiche by Chanel
I used to wear Chanel Chance a few years ago. I was madly in love with it and its incredible smell. Chanel never disappointed me. It’s expensive, but it smells fresh and delicious. You should know that Eau Fraiche is the less intense yet more refreshing alternative to the original Chance perfume, a green reinterpretation if you will.
It has a floral scent but won’t last all day long. Chance Eau Fraiche is made with citrus and woody notes, including lemon, cedar, pepper, teak wood, iris, and jasmine.
Signature for Her by David Beckham
I’ve never tried a DB perfume so far, but Signature won my heart with its powdery, vanilla, and floral notes. In addition, it contains green apples, orchids, and patchouli. Both the sillage and longevity are decent but not higher than moderate. This David Beckham perfume suits a woman with a strong fashion sense; feminine and delicate yet charming and courageous.
Platinum Egoiste by Chanel
Egoiste Platinum by Chanel is an aromatic perfume with woody and fresh spicy notes. I was surprised to discover it was launched in 1993, but it’s still suitable for modern men. It’s created with lavender, jasmine, rosemary, cedar, and amber.
This men’s perfume is long-lasting and has a pretty strong sillage. Again, this is another expensive perfume, but the scent is incredible.
Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo
Tuscan Soul is a unisex perfume that was released in 2008. I love its formulation with its petitgrain and bergamot top notes. This Salvatore Ferragamo fragrance contains magnolia and orange blossom as middle notes, while the base notes are comprised of iris flower and fig tree. The bottle is statuesque and glamorous, but the perfume’s longevity is moderate.
I love its sweet and refreshing smell.
Question: Are Calvin Klein Perfumes Long-Lasting?
Answer: It depends on the perfume. Some CK fragrances last longer than others. Some have stronger sillages, while others provide a more delicate and refreshing scent.
Question: What’s the Best Calving Klein Fragrance?
Answer: It depends on what you want. But, many CK perfumes are seductive and appealing, including Eternity, Obsession, and Sheer Beauty.
Question: How Many Perfumes Has the Calvin Klein Brand Released?
Answer: So far, CK has over 180 perfumes and colognes. The first was made in 1987, whereas the newest CK fragrance was launched in 2022.