- Jessica McClintock Perfume Review - May 4, 2023
- Adidas Cologne Guide: The Best Picks For Men and Women - May 3, 2023
- Tim McGraw Cologne Guide: Find the Cologne That is Right for You - May 1, 2023
Lacoste S.A is a French company founded by Rene Lacoste and Andre Gillier. It sells a wide range of products, one of them being its well-known fragrances. It came into being in 1933, but it wasn’t until 1984 that they made their debut in the world of perfume with Lacoste for Men.
The brand is easily recognizable by its iconic green crocodile logo, which is symbolic of Rene Lacoste’s tennis career as his fans nicknamed “The Crocodile” due to his persistence on the tennis court. Today, Lacoste fragrances boast a host of famous perfumes for both men and women, mainly with a sports theme.
I’m sure you are just as curious to find out where it all started, how the cologne smells and which cologne will fit your personality the best. So grab a snack, relax, and let’s begin with the perfume that started it all! Here is your Lacoste Cologne guide:
Lacoste by Lacoste Fragrances
It’s a retro sports perfume, and like many types of cologne targeted at men, this perfume has a Woody scent. Conversely – I think fragrance enthusiasts would know what I am talking about here – “sport” fragrances are not favored by the more mature men, going for an elegant look.
Sporty fragrances are generally too synthetic but having said that. This particular perfume has a very green, aromatic, and mature scent. The perfectly balanced notes and overall aesthetics bring to mind a casual weekend on the (of course) tennis court. It’s ideal for summertime with its fresh, zesty scent.
- Top notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Lavender, and Lime.
- Middle notes: Geranium, Green Notes, Carnation, Basil, Galbanum, and Jasmine.
- Base notes: Musk, Vetiver, Tonka Bean, Oakmoss, Amber, and Cedar.
- Perfect for the gym.
- Fresh scent.
- Synthetic smell.
- Poor sillage and longevity.
Colognes That are Similar to Lacoste
Ferrari Black by Ferrari
This is a refreshing summer cologne, most suitable for day wear. The target market is young adults, ages 19-25. However, rated high in smell, this fruity citrus fragrance also offers poor longevity.
- Top notes: Plum, Red Apple, Citrus Bergamia, and Lime Fruit.
- Middle notes: Green Cardamom, Cinnamon, Jasmine, and Rose.
- Base notes: Musk, Cedar Wood, Amber, and Vanilla.
Emporio Armani Night by Giorgio Armani
Furthermore, unlike many others in this line, it offers excellent longevity, so it might be a better alternative to Lacoste if you favor more sweet, powdery scents.
- Top notes: Mandarin Orange, Bergamot, and Grapefruit.
- Middle notes: Cardamom, Violet, and Sage.
- Base notes: Cedar, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Musk, Patchouli, and Sandalwood.
Boss In Motion by Hugo Boss
This perfume radiates freshness and energy, best-suited to a self-confident man looking for challenges. Overall, a good alternative with moderate longevity catering to the same target market.
- Top notes: Bergamot, Orange, Violet Leaf, and Basil.
- Middle notes: Cinnamon, Cardamom, Nutmeg, and Pink Pepper.
- Base notes: Woodsy Notes, Musk, Sandalwood, and Vetiver.
Style in Play by Lacoste Fragrances
This is a fantastic unconventional scent which is pretty unusual for Lacoste Fragrances. Its fruity note stands out most prominently, which is why it smells so unique and remarkable; in my opinion one of the best Lacoste Fragrances.
It is exclusively for the summers and reminds one of the sunny beaches. It’s a casual-wear scent for the more laid-back young man.
- Top notes: Thuja and Green Apple.
- Middle Notes: Jasmine, Pine Tree, and Cedar.
- Base notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, and White Musk.
- Distinctive and unique.
- Fresh and aquatic scent.
- Good projection and longevity.
- Very reasonable price.
- Not a very mature scent.
- The scent can be a little sharp.
Scents Similar to Style in Play by Lacoste
Aside from Red by Lacoste, which is almost the same, other alternatives include:
DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan
This spring daytime scent offers mediocre longevity. It adds Woody Notes to the fruity, fresh-smelling scent of the perfume as mentioned above. It’s a versatile, decent option.
- Top notes: Green Apple and Grapefruit.
- Middle notes: Juniper Berry, Jasmine, and Marine.
- Base notes: Patchouli, Woody Elements, and Coffee Bean.
Swiss Army Altitude by Victorinox Swiss Army
It’s a more refined yet similar scent to Style In-Play, but this one also suits the more mature men rather than just your average 17-year-old, typical of most sporty perfumes.
- Top notes: Juniper Berry, Coriander, and Virginia Cedar.
- Middle notes: Galbanum, Mint, and Sage.
- Base notes: Musk and Woodsy Notes.
L’Homme Lacoste Intense by Lacoste Fragrances
This is a more profound, more powerful edition to the previous L’Homme by Lacoste. A perfect fit for the fall-winter season, this cologne is widely considered to be perhaps the best Lacoste fragrance.
This scent is best suited for a formal evening by a sexy well-suited man up for a challenge. This is a long-lasting, durable scent with subtle projection—a definite winner.
- Top notes: Quince, Grapefruit, Rhubarb, Mandarin Orange, and Lemon.
- Middle notes: Hedione, Ginger, Jasmine, Black Pepper, Pineapple, and Almond.
- Base notes: Nagarmotha, Amberwood, Vetiver, Cedar, Akigalawood, Musk, Vanilla, and Amber.
- Good projection and longevity.
- Distinctive scent.
- After the initial note settles down, the scent can become a little weak.
Perfumes Similar to L’Homme Lacoste Intense
Allure Sport by Chanel
It’s a day scent more suitable in summers and pleasing on any man regardless of age. This subtle scent is very warm and comforting—a very good alternative to L’Homme, a more attractive fragrance with poor longevity.
- Top notes: Mandarine, Marine, Sweet Orange, and Aldehyde.
- Middle Notes: Pepper, Cedar Wood, and Orange Blossom Water.
- Base notes: Vanilla, Tonkin beans, Vetiver, Amber, and Musk.
Mankind Unlimited by Kenneth Cole
This scent, classified as Woody Aromatic, gives a warm feeling, best suited to special occasions. This is another excellent alternative with better longevity than Allure Sport.
- Top notes: Sweet Orange, Marine, Clary, and Mandarine.
- Middle notes: Ginger, Aromatic Cedar, Pepper, and Green Cardamom.
- Base notes: Sandalwood, Amber, and Cedar.
Eau de Lacoste L.12.12. Blanc by Lacoste Fragrances
Despite having a name that gives you a headache, this very simple scent – in a good way – is suitable for just about any setting, but especially to casual ones. The longevity performance is mediocre, but the smell is one of the better offerings of the Lacoste line.
It’s a definite classic with a deliciously woody floral aroma to its credit. This is more suited to the man who takes his hygiene seriously and likes to play it safe. This is a youthful scent suited to summertime.
- Top notes: Rosemary, Grapefruit, and Cardamom.
- Middle notes: Tuberose and Ylang-Ylang.
- Base notes: Virginia Cedar, Suede, Vetiver, and Leather.
- Value for money.
- Good opening notes, crowd-pleasing scent.
- The scent can get too floral.
- Not very interesting.
Perfumes Similar to Eau de Lacoste L.12.12. Blanc
Hunter Men by Armaf
This perfume, like L.12.12. Blanc gives off a woody floral scent and provides good value for money. However, it outperforms L.12.12. Blanc in terms of projection and longevity. It gives a light, sweet smell that is generic yet pleasing, ideally worn in summer.
- Top notes: Rosemary, Grapefruit, Cardamom, and Cedar Needles.
- Middle Notes: Tuberose, Olibanum, and Ylang-Ylang.
- Base notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, and Cedar.
Boss Bottled Unlimited by Hugo Boss
This scent unleashes a burst of freshness and energy; suited to the confident, goal-oriented gentleman. This fragrance is an absolute gem, in that although it smells similar to L.12.12. Blanc, it’s still innately exclusive. A better alternative, in my opinion.
- Top notes: Violet Leaf, Grapefruit, and Mint.
- Middle notes: Cinnamon, Rose, and Pineapple.
- Base notes: White Musk, Sandalwood, and Labdanum.
Esplosivo by Tonino Lamborghini
This bold perfume is, as its name suggests – explosive! It gives off a robust and masculine aroma with better-than-average longevity. However, the fragrance can seem a little synthetic and inexpensive.
- Top notes: Green Notes, Cinnamon, Juniper, and Lime.
- Middle notes: Vetiver, Basil, and Mint.
- Base notes: Guaiac Wood, Patchouli, and Woodsy Notes.
The features most common across the Lacoste fragrance line are:
- Value for money, most users would agree that the Lacoste fragrances balance the quality, quantity, and cost aspects of their perfumes really well; not too expensive but not too cheap, what you pay is what you get!
- Lacoste fragrances are basically for the youth audience. Nearly all Lacoste fragrances can be listed under the term “sporty” and “zesty”
- The Lacoste colognes play it safe, that is, their scents are what most people would call appealing, and whose pre-approved variations are already out there. They rarely offer an unconventional scent.
- Longevity on most Lacoste perfumes is moderate.
Question: Is the Lacoste Fragrance Line Any Good?
Answer: Lacoste has not launched a perfume that can be considered “iconic” in the last 20 years or so. However, they do offer a variety of nice-smelling generic fragrances, the audience mainly of young adults, with a couple of unique scents to their name.
As with their clothing line, whenever you see the Lacoste logo, the automatic aesthetic that comes to your mind is sports. This about sums up their scents – reasonable after a post-gym shower.
Question: Is Lacoste Fragrances an American Company?
Answer: The Lacoste Corporation, offering various products other than fragrances, is a French company based in Paris. Lacoste came out with their first-ever fragrance in 1968, with the latest being released in 2021.
Question: Are Lacoste Colognes Expensive?
Answer: The Lacoste colognes are available at moderate, reasonable prices; comparatively. Like Paco Rabanne and Estee Lauder, high-end brands sell perfumes that can cost up to hundreds (some; thousands) of dollars. You can find most Lacoste colognes in the $70-ish range.
Question: Do Lacoste Colognes Have Good Longevity?
Answer: Most Lacoste colognes offer moderate longevity, lasting on the skin for about 3 – 4 hours. Overall though, they are worth their cost, specifically for the youth who are only just beginning to venture into the world of fragrances.
This is the most viable option. They’re not too expensive; usually, they smell fresh and clean. Also, you can’t go wrong with them since they’re generally pretty generic.
Question: Which is the Best Lacoste Cologne?
Answer: When it comes to perfumes, you can’t just name one that’s best because “to each, his own” A scent that smells amazingly tantalizing to some can be precisely the opposite for another, who finds it overwhelming.
An easy example of this is, reading online reviews of some of your favorite perfumes and seeing how the answers vary: from “average” to “mind-blowing” to “the worst thing that happened in the world of fragrances! How are they still selling this??”
The best-selling Lacoste cologne for men, however, is Eau de Lacoste L.12.12. Blanc. And I have to agree, it is definitely one of my top 3 colognes.
If I have to rate the Lacoste colognes, I will rate them a solid 7 out of 10. Perfumes, for me, are a source of identity; it is what makes you come to peoples’ minds when they smell them, and it is something to be associated (almost) exclusively with you.
According to experts, the most powerful of all the senses is the sense of smell so, having a scent that can be my signature is what I look for most in a perfume. Therefore, I find safe, crowd-pleasing scents generally off-putting.
I am usually labeled a “revolutionary” or, to the more subtle, a “unique person.” Still, I am attracted to, incomprehensibly, traditionalists exuding power and dominance (which in-effect I can’t bear). The commonplace Lacoste perfumes fill neither requisites, so they are a pass for me.
But everyone views it from their vantage point, and playing it safe can mean you don’t ruffle too many feathers – so to all the team players out there, go get your Lacoste cologne today! Try out the Lacoste colognes mentioned above, and if they are not your cup of tea, there are always alternative options you can go for!
Which of the Lacoste colognes are your favorite, let us know in the comments below.