- Best Teakwood Cologne Guide  - July 21, 2022
- Aspen Cologne Review: Is It Too Dated? - July 20, 2022
- Best Cologne for Teenage Guys: Throw Away the Axe for Good - June 19, 2022
When I was a teenager, Axe body spray was the only fragrance teenage boys seemed to know about. Boys would always have a can of spray in their lockers and douse themselves in the overwhelming mist. Luckily, today there are tons more options for the best cologne for teenage boys.
For better or worse, teen guys need quick and easy routines, which means that boys often grab whatever’s on the shelf at the drug store. As someone who was once a teenage girl, please don’t do that!
Investing in a real cologne that will last without creating a toxic cloud around you is worth it. Colognes are a simple, easy way to boost your confidence without a ton of effort – you’d be surprised how much fresher you’ll feel. Fragrances are not just for professional guys or women. Teenage boys can benefit from finding a signature scent early or testing various fragrances.
Bottom Line Up Front
There are a ton of fragrances on the market for teenage boys to try out, and this list has a ton of options to try out. But one of my favorites is Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L’Homme – my senses come alive when I smell this scent. The woody, earthy scent is warm and cozy. It’s everything a teenage boy is looking for in a signature scent.
What Fragrances Are Best for Teenage Boys
Teenagers have different fragrance needs than adults. For teenage boys, finding the right cologne for your overall style is key. From light, sporty scents to warm, spicy fragrances, colognes aren’t one size fits all. Teenage boys want colognes that fit their lifestyle and personality while bringing in many compliments.
So whether you’re shopping for a fragrance for class or movie dates, this list will introduce you to the world of colognes!
Criteria for this List
When choosing the right cologne, take several factors into consideration.
Aging yourself through fragrances is possible, and it’s important to use scents encapsulating where you are in your life. I’ve filled this list with colognes that won’t remind you of your grandpa!
You can tell from the beginning if you’re wearing cheap cologne. Synthetic fragrances are noticeable – and not for the better. I’ve selected more complex aromas that are nothing like Axe body sprays and the smell of generic body wash.
Nothing is worse than a cologne that disappears too soon. You want something that will last throughout the day and night for several hours before refreshing. I chose the fragrances on this list for their longevity – these colognes can last throughout the class, a shift at work, or study sessions with enduring scents.
Let’s be honest, teenagers don’t tend to have much money floating around, and when choosing what to spend your pocket money on, cologne might not be at the top of the list. Colognes can be expensive, but I’ve selected options with small sizes, so you don’t have to splurge on the full-size bottle.
Top Choices for Best Cologne for Teenage Boys
Finding your first cologne is an exciting right of passage for teenage boys – here are some of the top choices for cologne for teen boys!
Dior Sauvage is one of the most popular colognes for a good reason! The blend of fresh and peppery fragrance notes is a total hit among men and teenagers alike.
Top Notes: Calabrian bergamot and citrus
Middle Notes: Elemi and Ambroxan
Base Notes: Amberwood and cedar
Right off the bat, you’ll smell the bright bergamot and fresh pepper that’s incredibly fresh and masculine with a little bit of spice. As the cologne settles into the skin, notes of sweet earth and warm wood come to the forefront to create a scent that embraces inspiration from the outdoors.
It smells youthful and fresh, but it’s a scent that can grow with you as you age, so if you love it, it’s still ‘adult’ enough for the office. Dior Sauvage is exceptionally versatile – for day or night, it fits any event or occasion! And the magical, smooth scent lasts for hours.
- Less is more – this fragrance blend is on the stronger side of the spectrum, so start with fewer sprays. You need less than you think you do.
- Longevity – if you’re looking for a lasting fragrance, this one is the winner.
- Price – Sephora has several sizes, including value sizes, so you can start with a one-ounce bottle (30ml) up to ten ounces (200ml).
- The powerful scent can also be a negative if you’re sensitive to strong fragrances.
YSL La Nuit De L’Homme is one of my personal favourites! It’s perfect for a date with that special someone – it will make them swoon. This cologne is warm and aromatic in all the best ways.
Top Notes: Cardamom
Middle Notes: Lavender and cedarwood
Base Notes: Vetiver and coumarin
With bold spice and intensity, this cologne will bring up your confidence! It starts off spicy, mixed with a touch of lavender to balance the fragrance and add some freshness. It’s captivating, and by the time it sweeps into the base notes, you’re hooked.
The cedarwood and cinnamon-like coumarin scent are seductive and warm that’s outright delicious. It makes for the perfect date fragrance for a school dance or special occasion. La Nuit De L’Homme is not overpowering, and the quality of the deep, fresh scent remains consistent throughout the day.
- Longevity – this cologne lasts for several hours while remaining fairly consistent as it fades.
- It’s just the perfect strength to not be too overpowering or intense – it’s a scent that people have to get up close and personal to smell.
- There is an entire line of L’Homme cologne varieties to try out, too!
- It’s best for the fall and winter – the warm spice can be a little out of place in the spring and summer.
For a crisp citrus scent for the teen guy on the move, Blu Atlas Atlantis cologne ticks every box. Totally unique, this cologne is the best-kept secret that needs to be public! Even though this is not a well-known brand, this scent is made for the modern teenage guy.
Top Notes: Bergamot
Middle Notes: Clary sage
Base Notes: Patchouli
If you’re looking for an unforgettable cologne for daily wear, Atlantis is the fragrance. The aromatic, earthy notes are blended with punchy citrus that feels young and innovative for the contemporary teen. This scent is versatile enough for everything you do – evenings out with friends, study groups, or a post-gym refresh.
Don’t be fooled by the bright floral notes in this cologne – the mix of notes results in a masculine fragrance that will get you compliments at every turn.
- Quality – Atlantis is 100% vegan, with all-natural ingredients and no artificial fragrances – and it has a sleek bottle as a bonus.
- Youthful – this complex, the magical scent is just what every teen guy needs in their school locker in 2022.
- Price – affordable compared to other fragrances on the market.
- You can only buy this cologne online, so there is no way to test it beforehand.
Okay, admittedly, this fragrance is genderless, but that doesn’t make it too girly for teen guys to wear! Calvin Klein is a master with colognes, and ck one is no exception – it’s been the best seller for years for a reason.
Top Notes: Bergamot
Middle Notes: Green tea
Bottom Notes: Musk
Crisp and cool, this citrus-based cologne bends our conception of what a masculine scent is. The fragrance is natural and muted, so it’s not overpowering or smells inauthentic. A light, genderless scent, CK one’s natural clean fragrance is like a sunny day on the coastal waters.
A bottle of ck one lasts seemingly forever – I shared a bottle in my household for years, and since we all have different skin chemistry, it was fun to see how differently the fragrance reacted to our skin.
- Price – this is easily one of the best budget-friendly buys on this list.
- Quality – it’s long-lasting in the bottle and out, so a little spritz goes a long way.
- Youthful – this scent is ageless, and you can rock it regardless of gender, but it’s precisely the kind of refreshing scent a teen guy will appreciate.
- Longevity – because of the light fragrance notes, you’ll notice its intensity fade quickly, but the scent will still be present when people entre your personal space.
Top Notes: Marine breeze
Middle Notes: Sandalwood
Base Notes: Musk
This aquatic, fresh scent is perfect for the laid-back guy who wants something down-to-earth and not too intense. This scent is undeniably masculine, with notes of the coastal waters, sandalwood, and musk. It’s a clean scent that’s casual for work and school – it’s the total opposite of pretentious, so if you’re the boy next door type, Fierce is exactly what you need for a bit of edge.
Abercrombie & Fitch colognes are more affordable than Sephora or drug stores, so Fierce is a classic scent to try out if you’re just beginning your hunt for cologne!
- Price – an affordable option compared to other brands on this list.
- Longevity – lasts all day.
- Youthful – this fragrance is made explicitly for young men transitioning to adulthood. It’s unique to this phase of your life and is the perfect scent to represent this life chapter.
- There is only one size, 3.4 ounces, so it’s a bit of a commitment. You have to roll the dice and hope you love it as all the notes settle on your skin.
For the bold and competitive teen guy, Paco Rabanne Invictus cologne is contained within a unique trophy bottle that you can’t ignore. Paco Rabanne identifies this cologne as the hero’s fragrance for all the hard-working teenage guys.
Top Notes: Sea notes, grapefruit, and orange
Middle Notes: Jasmine
Base Notes: Guaïac Wood and patchouli
Invictus is a bold, forceful fragrance that’s fresh with citrus and powerful with masculine wood notes – add some jasmine and patchouli, and you get a sweet aroma unlike any other. The light, sweet tones are incredibly youthful and playful; they’re not too serious, just like teenage guys.
It’s not all sweet and spice – there’s still an edge to this fragrance. Grapefruit and ocean notes melt into warmer scents for a modern vibe that will bring out your most confident self!
- This utterly unique cologne smells (and looks) like nothing you’ve ever seen before. You’ll be one of a kind when sporting this fragrance.
- Youthful – this fragrance is made specifically for the contemporary young man, and it won’t age you like some other fragrances.
- Quality – it’s not at all overwhelming. This cologne is the perfect balance of strength and aromatic intensity. It will always smell natural and clean.
- It’s a better choice for spring and summer – the scent is too light and crisp for fall and winter weather.
The perfect first date scent, Versace Eros is a true classic – the youthful and fun fragrance is spicy and cool, making it a unique cologne that deserves a spot on your bathroom shelf.
Top Notes: Mint, green apple, and lemon
Middle Notes: Geranium, Ambroxan, and Tonka bean
Base Notes: Vanilla, vetiver, oakmoss, and wood
The versatility of this fragrance makes it a standout choice for young men! The bright, fresh notes of mint and green apple burst out vividly at the first spray. The aromatic, fruity, and sweet scent clashes beautifully with the fresh, cool mint and then blends into rich vanilla to round out the scent palette.
Eros is the God of Love in Greek mythology, and this fragrance in his honor is meant to invoke masculine passion and mastery. This vibrant and intense fragrance is silky smooth and is a flawless year-long fragrance to love.
- Price – unfortunately, anything with the Versace label will come with a hefty price tag, but this fragrance has a variety of sizes at fair price points at Sephora, so you can buy what you love when you can afford it.
- Longevity – Versace Eros lasts all day and maintains its strength which is healthily balanced evenly with all the notes.
- Youthful – this fragrance is a little sexy and ultra-modern. One sniff, and you’ll understand why so many teenage guys and young men gravitate toward this fragrance.
- While you can get away with wearing this fragrance day or night in any season, it’s typically a more casual fragrance.
Question: How do you choose a fragrance for men?
Answer: Choosing a fragrance can be a lot of trial and error. But some of the best ways to find a fragrance you like is to see what’s popular online, ask people what fragrances they wear, and always try before you buy.
Question: Can you wear cologne to school?
Answer: If the guys I went to school could douse themselves in Axe body spray without a care, then chances are you can wear an authentic fragrance! Before you decide to wear cologne to school or even bring some to keep in your locker, check your school’s dress code policy to see what, if anything, it says about fragrances.
Question: Should you wear cologne on a first date?
Answer: Dating is all about putting your best foot forward, and just like you will choose your favorite clothes and do your hair, wearing cologne is an excellent idea. Not only can cologne give you a confidence boost and make you feel at the top of your game, but it also ignites your date’s senses. Cologne is never a bad idea on a date – just be sure not to overdo it.
Bottom Line on Best Cologne for Teenage Boys
My disdain for Axe body spray, Old Spice body wash, and Irish Spring soap runs deep – the synthetic, overly potent fragrances are irritating for me, and I don’t even wear them! For so long, guys didn’t really care, so it was Axe body spray or nothing, but now there’s no excuse!
Beauty influencers or their partners all have opinions about colognes (thank God!) because now TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram don’t let teenage boys hide from the truth: it’s time to find a cologne. I love every fragrance I’ve added to this list, but if you’re only taking tentative steps towards cologne, Calvin Klein ck one is not a huge investment and is light enough that you won’t feel bulldozed by competing aromas.
Once you explore all the different colognes, you’ll find your signature scent to attach to your high school memories!